Welcome to McKinleyville's Virtual Recreation & Wellness Center & Resources! This is your place for Staying Active, Staying Connected and Staying Informed! With a focus on these three things we hope this page provides fun activities, outdoor options, emotional connection opportunities and resources and information to help us all get through these ever changing and strange times. Our Mission Statement, "Provide McKinleyville with safe and reliable water, wastewater, lighting, open space, parks and recreation, and library services in an environmentally and fiscally responsible manner" is still our guiding light and shows our commitment to providing our community members with as much services as with in our power at this time.
Check back here often as we will add and update as go through these times. Check out or Facebook Page as well for information. Please note that we do not endorse or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some great options for staying active and maintaining a healthy lifestyle while maintaing social distancing.
- Go out to our local parks and trails. These wide open spaces provide plenty of space for social distancing while you exercise, throw a frisbee around with your family, or go on a walk with your dog.
- Go on a walk in your neighborhood, you can still give a friendly wave to your neighbors!
- Go out to one of our great local beaches! They offer plenty of space for social distancing.
- Take a short car ride to one of our local State Parks, although closed for camping, day use is still open!
- Spend sometime attending to your garden/yard getting ready for warmer weather!
- Have a family dance party night!
- Play a game of Balloon Volleyball in your living room
- Board Games and Puzzles are a great way to pass the time
- Try these FREE online Yoga Classes
- Here are some great options to maintain emotional connections to your family, friends, coworkers and neighbors.
- Check in on your elderly family, freinds and neighbors. Offer to help them with groceries, meals, running errands like picking up medications or yardwork.
- Call, facetime, text or skype a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while to check in.
- Write letters to those you have connected with in awhile.
- Be a kid again! Build a lego set with your kids (or by yourself), create new things from old things, do an arts and crafts project, or do something else you enjoyed doing as a child or that you child(ren) enjoy. Check out pinterest for ideas!
- Support a our restaurants - Many restaurants are still open for take out or delivery orders. Support your favorite joints and order food for pick up or try out Doordash or Ubereats and have it brought to you.
- Food for People is in need of volunteers, fill out their volunteer form here.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep. Make time to unwind.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Work on Mindfulness; Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress. For some tips on how to begin practicing mindfulness click HERE.
Here are some great resources being provided locally to help us all get through these times.
- Check out the Center for Disease Control's page about COVID-19 for the latest information.
- Humboldt County Health Alert Page
- Check out the State of California's EDD page with resources and information about COVID-19. This page is a good resource for Employers and Employees alike in these trying times.
- Follow the McKinleyville Union School District's Facebook page for the most up-to-date information on meals for students and other information.